Sunday, 30 November 2014

Braces removal

Okay so I am finally getting around to this post! Here is how my exciting day went! I had to get two more adjustments before I got my braces off, so I was at the first one. I was a little frustrated because I had come off of a night shift and had to wait two hours before my appointment. While I was waiting I was told my hygenists was running late with her appointments so she would be an additional 45 minutes before she could see me. At this point I was just plain grumpy, all I wanted to do was sleep. 

Finally when they called my name I went and sat in the chair and she started working on my teeth. She asked how my day was and I jokingly said "it would be better if you took my braces off" after having them on for what felt like a life time I was just fed up with looking at them I just wanted them off. I wanted to look and feel like a normal human being. She just laughed and said "not gonna happen" the orthodontist came over and the hygenists told him I wanted to know if I could have my braces off (I guess she took me seriously) to which he as well laughed and stated "not today" although I was completely joking I was slightly saddened by being turned down. He looked at my teeth and said "after today they can come off at any time" and then got up and walked off. About 10 minutes later he came back and said "I have found an opening in today's schedule and we can take your braces off at noon!" I suddenly was no longer tired I was so excited I couldn't contain it! And then I realized I wasn't wearing make up. Oh crap. I had everything planned out for my reveal of my new face and now I ruined it!

They bonded the inner bands to the top and bottom, what an awful experience. They really take their time putting them on. I know its a teadious process of ending the wire but jeesh my jaw was exhausted and my tongue was so dry. But finally they were on and they felt so weird. That fresh glue feeling, yuck!

So I sat in another chair and prepared myself for the pain of removing them! They had repositioned a couple brackets after surgery and popping them off has hurt a lot so I knew I was in for some pain. To my surprise they popped off like nothing, she had them off before I even knew what was happening. Then she polished my teeth, at this point the hygenists were all swarmed around me giggling with excitement. We had all gone through this together like a family and we were all excited! 

Then it was time for my big moment. My orthodontist grabbed my hand and put me infront of the mirror and I just couldn't handle it, I could not open my mouth! He kept saying SMILE and for the life of me I couldn't look. I don't know if I was scared or nervous or what but it took me forever to finally uncover my mouth. The second I did the tears came flowing and before I knew it we were all crying. 

It is so hard to explain to anyone who hasn't gone through something like this what it feels like. For the first time in my 24 years of life I felt normal. I wanted to smile and not hide it. 

This whole experience has been completely life changing and I am so grateful to FINALLY be on the other side of it. I will never stop smiling!!






7 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS! CONGRATS CASSIE! That's the best story I've ever heard! And you look gorgeous! Wow, have fun with your braces-free life! Go eat some caramel or something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great surprise just before the holidays! You look amazing girl! I feel like my teeth felt so huge after having the braces off. Keep on smiling! Glad we were able to have this all behind us and start the new year off with beautiful smiles! :) Good luck with everything! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow ! you look so gorgeous now .. how I wish I have enough money to undergo double jaw surgery .. you're so lucky ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone :) it was your kind words that got me through this journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You people have really won the heart of mine, this post is wonderful. Thanks revision rhinoplasty

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the sacrifice and pain is worth it! Looking at how happy you are at the end result of your surgery and the removal of your braces, you should be proud of yourself. You endured pain and the most important part is you got the outcome that you desired. Stay pretty, Cassie!



    Felipe Roberson @ Philly-Dentist.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so beautiful! I'm on my journey to have double jaw surgery at the end of this year! Your results are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete